Energy saving tips: Saving money & the planet
Natural gas is not only the cleanest fossil fuel, it is one of the most efficient ways to heat your home.
Check out the energy saving tips below, courtesy of the Energy Saving Trust to see the simple things you can do today to help save energy around your home.
1. Draft-proof your home
2. Insulate your pipes
- Insulating your hot water pipes is a quick and easy way to save energy. As well as reducing heat loss from your system, pipe lagging will also prevent pipes from getting too cold and bursting this winter.
3. Get a new boiler
- Replace an old G-rated oil boiler with a new A-rated gas boiler with a full set of heating controls and you could save up to 25%. *Source SEAI page 6.
4. Upgrading to smart controls
- Smart controls can help manage your heating remotely, to help prevent wasting heat whilst your away from home.
5. Top-Up your hot water cylinder insulation
- All new hot water cylinders have some insulation, however those with a hot water tank jacket under 25mm thick could benefit with top up insulation.
6. Top-up your loft insulation
- The majority of homes have some loft insulation but many don’t have the recommended 300mm depth.
7. Insulate your walls
- Although wall insulation is a larger investment, and costs vary, it can result in a large saving.
8. Saving water at home
A dripping tap can waste more than 5,300 litres of water a year, so make sure your taps are properly turned off and change washers promptly when taps start to drip.
If you need to rinse utensils or wash vegetables, use cold water if possible and don’t leave the tap running. Make sure that dishwashers and washing machines are full before you use them, and ensure you always use the most efficient water and energy settings.
- Avoid having appliances on standby and turn off devices when not in use.
- Turning off your lights when you don’t need them. LEDs are the most efficient lighting technology; they are available in most types of light fittings.
Call the Energy Saving Trust for further free and impartial advice: 0300 123 1234
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask a Question
The response time for reply to your query is 24 hours (Excluding weekends and Bank Holidays).
If you have an Urgent Query, please contact our customer services team on: 0330 024 9000