Servicing your natural gas heating system
As a homeowner or a provider of accommodation(e.g. Landlords), you are the person responsible for ensuring that the natural gas appliances and installation pipework in your premises are safely maintained on an annual basis
Here are a few things to remember:
- Only buy a gas appliance from a reputable provider. Check that the appliance carries the CE mark. Don't forget, gas appliances & boilers must only be installed by a Gas Safe Registered Installer.
- Every new appliance is supplied with a full instruction book. Read it carefully and get to know your appliances. Keep the instructions handy, so that you can refer to them at any time.
- If you are moving house, please leave the instruction books for any appliance you are not taking with you. If you don't have the instruction books you need, contact the appliance suppliers for replacements.
- Routinely check gas appliances for signs of soot, discolouration or yellow flames as these are signs of appliances not functioning properly. If any of these signs are present call a Gas Safe Registered Engineer immediately.
- Natural gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidelines by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer, to make sure they are working safely and efficiently. If you are a landlord and have properties with natural gas appliances, it is your legal responsibility to ensure these appliances are serviced annually and are in proper working order. See www.gassaferegister.co.uk for a list of Registered Engineers in your area or you can call them on 0800 408 5500.
Your Gas Safe registered Engineer will carry out tests and checks to establish your appliances are operating safely. Where an appliance or pipework has been installed in an unsafe way, or is operating unsafely and the Engineer cannot rectify the situation immediately, they will follow the guidance outlined in the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) to make the installation safe. This is the industry accepted document for guiding Engineers on dealing with unsafe situations.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask a Question
The response time for reply to your query is 24 hours (Excluding weekends and Bank Holidays).
If you have an Urgent Query, please contact our customer services team on: 0330 024 9000