Customers of Northern Ireland’s largest supplier of natural gas, firmus energy, will benefit from reduced tariffs in the Ten Towns Network and Greater Belfast Network area for the second time this year, from today [01 April 2023].
In March, firmus energy announced a tariff reduction of 18.84% in the Ten Towns Network area and a reduction of 22.43% in the Greater Belfast Network area, both to take effect from 1st April.
Despite the UK Governments decision to reduce support for energy bills from 1st April, domestic customers with firmus energy will still benefit from a reduction in their tariffs.
Commenting on the price decreases, Niall Martindale, Chief Executive Officer of firmus energy said:
“firmus energy is delighted to be implementing its second price reduction this year”
“We have always committed to our customers that as soon as market conditions allowed us to lower our prices we would do so, and tomorrow we are introducing our second price cut of the year. We recognise the wider cost of living challenges within the communities we serve, and at firmus, we are working hard to make a positive change for each and every one of our customers."
Customers seeking advice on their natural gas bills or direct debit payments should contact the firmus energy Customer Services team on 0330 024 9000 or email@example.com. For free and independent advice on how to save energy please contact NI Energy Advice Line on 0800 111 4455.
Media contact: Open Strategic Communications:
Ross Williamson firstname.lastname@example.org 44 (0) 7734 821 070
Johnny Stewart email@example.com 44 (0) 7785 458 136
Notes to editors:
- firmus energy’s Ten Towns tariff is regulated and this tariff decrease follows a review process that is carried out by firmus energy and approved by the Utility Regulator, in consultation with the Department for the Economy and the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland. The Greater Belfast Network area is not subject to a review process by the Utility Regulator.
- firmus energy is a natural gas distribution and supply company, based in Antrim. Since 2005, firmus energy has connected over 65,000 customers in its Ten Towns Network area and supplies natural gas to around 109,000 customers across Northern Ireland.
- Since January 2023 firmus energy has now reduced their tariffs by up to 36% on average (based on PAYG rate). The UK Government EPG discount has been additional to the firmus tariff reductions.
- The Government EPG discount will be extended from 1st April 2023 albeit at a reduced rate.
- From 1st April 2023, the government’s discount rate will be reduced from 3.893 p/kWh to 2.603 p/kWh
- firmus energy is Northern Ireland’s largest gas supplier by consumption.
- The Ten Towns area includes Antrim, Armagh, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Banbridge, Coleraine, Craigavon (including Lurgan and Portadown), Limavady, Derry/Londonderry, Newry and more than 25 other towns and villages in the surrounding areas.
- The Greater Belfast Network area covers Belfast, Lisburn, Bangor, Holywood, Donaghadee, Larne, Groomsport, Millisle, Newtownards, Carryduff, Comber, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus, and East Down.