Northern Ireland’s largest supplier of natural gas, firmus energy, has today, Tuesday 6th December announced that it will be reducing its tariffs for customers in the Ten Towns Network area by 20.52% and by 17.60 % in the Greater Belfast Network area, from 01 January 2023.
This will reduce the average cost by £8.83 per week in Ten Towns and by £7.92 in Greater Belfast. On an annual basis, this will save customers £460 and £410, on average, respectively.
In addition, from 1st January 2023, the UK Government’s Energy Price Guarantee (EPG) Scheme will further reduce the price customers pay by 3.893 pence per kWh, providing up to a further 27.60% reduction to the new tariff.
Announcing the price decreases, Niall Martindale, Chief Executive Officer of firmus energy said:
“firmus energy is pleased to be announcing this price reduction.
“Throughout this challenging period, we committed that as soon as market conditions allowed us to lower our prices we would do so, and today we are pleased to confirm that prices will be reduced from January 2023.
“The Government’s EPG scheme will provide further savings and we welcome the additional support it is providing to our customers at this time.”
Customers seeking advice on their natural gas bills or direct debit payments should contact the firmus energy Customer Services team on 0330 024 9000 or email@example.com. For free and independent advice on how to save energy please contact NI Energy Advice Line on 0800 111 4455.
Media contact: Open Strategic Communications:
Ross Williamson firstname.lastname@example.org 44 (0) 7734 821 070
Johnny Stewart email@example.com 44 (0) 7785 458 136
Notes to editors:
- firmus energy is a regulated business and the Ten Towns tariff increase follows a review process that is carried out by firmus energy and approved by the Utility Regulator, in consultation with the Department for the Economy and the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland. As part of this process the Utility Regulator has scrutinised firmus energy’s actual costs to supply gas to homes and businesses in the Ten Towns Network area. The Greater Belfast Network area is not subject to a review process by the Utility Regulator.
- firmus energy is a natural gas distribution and supply company, based in Antrim. Since 2005, firmus energy has connected over 63,500 customers in its Ten Towns Network area and supplies natural gas to over 111,000 customers across Northern Ireland.
- The current Government EPG discount of 4.826 pence per kWh will end on 31st December 2022
- firmus energy is Northern Ireland’s largest gas supplier by consumption.
- The Ten Towns area includes Antrim, Armagh, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Banbridge, Coleraine, Craigavon (including Lurgan and Portadown), Limavady, Derry/Londonderry, Newry and more than 25 other towns and villages in the surrounding areas.
- The Greater Belfast Network area covers Belfast, Lisburn, Bangor, Holywood, Donaghadee, Larne, Groomsport, Millisle, Newtownards, Carryduff, Comber, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus, and East Down.