This will reduce the average cost by £6.441 per week in Ten Towns and by £8.322 in Greater Belfast. On an annual basis, this will save customers £335 and £433, on average, respectively.
Announcing the price decreases, Niall Martindale, Chief Executive Officer of firmus energy said:
“firmus energy is delighted to be announcing its second price reduction this year”
“We previously committed to our customers that as soon as market conditions allowed us to lower our prices we would do so, and today we are pleased to confirm that for the second time this year prices will be further reduced from April 2023. We recognise the wider cost of living challenges within the communities we serve, and at firmus, we are working hard to make positive change for our 110,000 loyal and valued customers.
We continue to work with the UK Government to ensure our customers are also benefiting from the EPG discount scheme. This scheme is anticipated to run until March 2024 and will continue to support customers using gas to heat their homes.”
Customers seeking advice on their natural gas bills or direct debit payments should contact the firmus energy Customer Services team on 0330 024 9000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For free and independent advice on how to save energy please contact NI Energy Advice Line on 0800 111 4455.
1 This is based on typical Medium Home Consumption Value of 12,000kWh per year as published by OFGEM. This excludes any EPG discount. £6.44 is based on a typical firmus energy network home PAYG customer. A typical firmus energy network home credit customer will decrease by £6.58 per week.
2 This is based on typical Medium Home Consumption Value of 12,000kWh per year as published by OFGEM. This excludes any EPG discount. £8.32 is based on a typical Greater Belfast network home PAYG customer. A typical Greater Belfast network home credit customer will decrease by £8.44 per week.
Media contact: Open Strategic Communications:
Ross Williamson email@example.com 44 (0) 7734 821 070
Johnny Stewart firstname.lastname@example.org 44 (0) 7785 458 136
Notes to editors:
- firmus energy is a regulated business and the Ten Towns tariff increase follows a review process that is carried out by firmus energy and approved by the Utility Regulator, in consultation with the Department for the Economy and the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland. As part of this process the Utility Regulator has scrutinised firmus energy’s actual costs to supply gas to homes and businesses in the Ten Towns Network area. The Greater Belfast Network area is not subject to a review process by the Utility Regulator.
- firmus energy is a natural gas distribution and supply company, based in Antrim. Since 2005, firmus energy has connected over 63,500 customers in its Ten Towns Network area and supplies natural gas to over 110,000 customers across Northern Ireland.
- Since December 2022 firmus energy has now reduced their tariffs by up to 36% on average (based on PAYG rate). The UK Government EPG discount has been additional to the firmus tariff reductions..
- The Government EPG discount will be extended from 1st April 2023
- firmus energy is Northern Ireland’s largest gas supplier by consumption.
- The Ten Towns area includes Antrim, Armagh, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Banbridge, Coleraine, Craigavon (including Lurgan and Portadown), Limavady, Derry/Londonderry, Newry and more than 25 other towns and villages in the surrounding areas.
- The Greater Belfast Network area covers Belfast, Lisburn, Bangor, Holywood, Donaghadee, Larne, Groomsport, Millisle, Newtownards, Carryduff, Comber, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus, and East Down.